Mountains of Madness Revealed [Trade Paperback] edited by Darrell Schweitzer
AN ANTHOLOGY by Darrell Schweitzer
CATEGORY Lovecraft Inspired Horror
PUBLICATION DATE February 2023
COVER ART Jason Van Hollander
Trade Paperback — ISBN 978-1-78636-890-4 [£14.99]
ABOUT THE BOOK
In his celebrated novella At the Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft told of the discovery of a vast, alien city buried beneath Antarctic ice: millions of years old, filled with shocking secrets about the history of life on Earth, and not entirely uninhabited.
After the Miskatonic University expedition of 1930 came to a disastrous end, further exploration was either discouraged or suppressed. The city of the Elder Things slept once more, and the world seemed safe from whatever the Mountains of Madness still harbored.
Decades later, global warming melts ice caps and glaciers retreat. That which was once hidden is hidden no longer. So what happens when that horror-filled city of Elder Things and shoggoths is in plain sight, its existence impossible to deny? How will mankind deal with the realization we are masters of the Earth only by sheer chance? Something is stirring, that mastery may be coming to an end.
What happens next? Denial? Exploitation? The rise of strange cults? Maybe even an ill-advised attempt at tourism? Or will the cosmic forces now awakened engulf the entire planet?
Here are some of the answers: stories by Adrian Cole, Gordon Linzner, James Chambers, Melinda LaFevers, John R. Fultz, Harry Turtledove, James Van Pelt, Robert M. Price, Don Webb, John Shirley, Paul Di Filippo, Frederic S. Durbin, John Linwood Grant, Geoffrey Hart, Amdi Silvestri, Géza A.G. Reilly, and Darrell Schweitzer. Verse by Ann K. Schwader and Adam Bolivar.
Here’s the complete line-up
- Introduction — Darrell Schweitzer
- Climate of Fear — Ann K. Schwader.
- Cold Storage — Adrian Cole
- Beyond the Thaw — Gordon Linzner
- Echoes from the Ice — James Chambers
- New Birth — Melinda LaFevers
- The Embrace of Elder Things — John R. Fultz
- The Hill of the Beast — Harry Turtledove
- Skinny Dipping with the Old Ones — James Van Pelt
- The Unspeakable Spawning of the Proto-Shoggoths — Robert M. Price
- The Water of Dhul Nun — Don Webb
- A Boy and His Shoggoth — John Shirley
- The Yog-Sothoth Policeman’s Union — Paul Di Filippo
- The Evening Calm — Frederic S. Durbin
- Strange Perfumes of a Polar Sun — John Linwood Grant
- At the Mountains of Magnates — Geoffrey Hart
- In Everything a Sound — Amdi Silvestri
- A Wind from the South — Géza A.G. Reilly
- Down to a Sunless Sea — Darrell Schweitzer
- The Ballad of the Black Mountain — Adam Bolivar